Saturday, January 10, 2015

Seven Herbs Rice Porridge (Nanakusa-gayu 七草粥)

*Jan.7th, is Seven Herbs Rice Porridge eating Day*
Nanakusa-Gayu with side dishes (grilled turban shell)






This is a New Year's Tradition of eating a rice porridge with seven-medicinal herbs to bring good health and longevity. After enjoying New Year food (osechi), this simple vegetarian rice porridge is very refreshing, help digestive system that is stuffed and exhausted.  Okayu (お粥. rice porridge) is the traditional meal to eat when you’re sick; I suppose the Japanese equivalent of chicken soup:-)


*Seven herbs*
My husband's acquaintance who works at the agricultural high school kindly gave us this package of seven herbs which were grown by the students of the school.
Please enlarge the graph below to know what herbs are used :-)
I remember my late mother memorized the names and saying like a song.
We can buy the seven traditional greens conveniently packaged together at supermarket.
And I found the one we are given sold at the store we regularly use. (left side)

Thank you very much for stopping by;

1 comment:

Joyful said...

I think that is a good tradition. I've had rice porridge (Chinese style) but not the kind with 7 herbs. It sounds very healthy though I've only heard of 3 of the herbs. Happy New Year!